KinK FM night of the SP review

vincen...@my-deja.com

Sep 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/17/00
Hey there,

Below is a little report on the KinK FM broadcast we (Sven Schlijper,
Jeroen Fox and yours truly) made last Tuesday, september 12th. in the
KinK
FM studio in Hilversum, NED. I'm sure I'll forget tons of things, but I
think I can better try to write a quick story now, rather than after
the 4
shows I'll be attending next week. :) There you go.

After weeks of preparation, where the three of us separately made lists
of
songs we would like to play during the Night Of The Smashing Pumpkins,
we
finally came to a rough list of about 50 songs. Quite some work, when
you
take into account that we started with a list of around 600 songs! To
make
the choice less complicated, we made some requirements. First, we wanted
to show the audience the versatility of the band. Therefore we had to
find
a balance between mellow and hard songs, acoustic and electronic songs
and
in general we had to use songs from each period equally. Apart from rare
demo's, studio outtakes and live tracks, there were loads of great album
tracks to choose from. Another requirement, when it came to live songs,
was that the songs needed to be played in their 'right' period; i.e. the
kickass Siverfuck from the Vancouver show in january 97 did not meet the
requiremtn. The 1994 Silverfuck played in London did. And ofcourse the
timing of the Machina II/the Friends And Enemies Of Modern Music release
was perfect! First we had wanted to play a full live show (Vancouver 97,
Tokyo 2000 and a Summersault 2000 were possible candidates), but we
thought it was the best thing to do to play the complete album. Helping
the band a little by promoting it and making sure not only online-fans
could hear it.

In general, we had divided the show in different parts. Each part
consisted of 8 songs we had chosen before the broadcast. The rest were
quickly decided upon and picked from the collection we had brought with
us. Sometimes, that was really hectic, especially when the last song was
coming to an end and the next one still had to be chosed.

The first hour had to be easy, trying to keep the audience enthusiastic
and giving a general view of the versatility. Simply play not too
difficult songs. Pale Scales was a great instrumental opener at the
utrecht gig in january and it fit in perfectly for opening this
broadcast.
Today taken from Vieuphoria is one of the best versions around in good
quality. The click-track Mayonaise gave me the shivers in the studio,
followed by the amazing Glynis...

01 pale scales (live 24.01.00 - muziekcentrum vredenburg, utrecht, ned)
02
la dolly vita (pisces iscariot, 1994) 03 today (live 10.11.93 - center
stage, atlanta, usa [taken from vieuphoria, 1994]) 04 dross (friends and
enemies of modern music tape, 2000) 05 pennies (zero cd-single, 1996) 06
eye (live 28.06.97 - roskilde festival, roskilde, den) 07 galapogos
(mellon collie and the infinite sadness, 1995) 08 cherry (1979 cd-
single,
1996) 09 love (mellon collie and the infinite sadness, 1995) 10
mayonaise
(the smashing pumpkins 1991-1998 promo, 1999) 11 glynis (no alternative
soundtrack, 1993) 12 ava adore (live 06.08.98 - oven's auditorium,
charlotte, usa) 13 window paine (live 05.02.92 - elysée montmartre,
paris,
fra)

The second hour allowed a little more extremism and obscure(d) material.
Great fun to play an Apathy's Last Kiss on the radio! And the link from
the xtreme XYU to the beautiful Czarina. A couple of Dutch recordings to
show the link between Holland and the Pumpkins.

01 1979 (live 28.06.97 - roskilde festival, roskilde, den)
02 i am one (7"-single, 1990)
03 obscured (pisces iscariot, 1994)
04 apathy's last kiss (japanese today cd single, 1994)
05 bodies (live 24.04.96 - palatrussardi, milan, ita)
06 x.y.u. (live 31.10.98 - dodger stadium, los angeles, usa)
07 czarina (ava adore cd single, 1998)
08 spaceboy (live 30.06.93 - vpro studios, hilversum, ned)
09 dancing in the moonlight (disarm [smile] cd-single, 1994)
10 fuck you (an ode to no one) (live 12.12.95 - de melkweg, amsterdam,
ned)

In the third hour, Sven took us back to the early years. We thought this
selection of gems showed the true beauty the band exhibited in the early
nineties. The Rhinoceraus with Mark Ignoffo on keys surely was one of
these scarce songs, that we were proud to play in great quality. Same
for
Jennifer Ever and My Dahlia. There It Goes in a excellent quality. The
Vigil from the first show as a threepiece with a drumcomputer.
Unfortunately the studio's CD-player refused to play more than half of
the
song at the first time, so we quickly had to play Siva and try The Vigil
again. To our relief, this time the song was accepted completely.:)
Murder-Mix, one of the best Marked songs around and somewhat a
Marked-single.

01 tristessa (7"-single, 1990)
02 rhinoceraus (moon demo tape, 1989)
03 jennifer ever (the smashing pumpkins demo tape, 1989)
04 my dahlia (light into dark compilation lp, 1989)
05 there it goes (mashed potatoes, studio demos, 1988)
06 the vigil (live 10.08.88 - the avalon nightclub, chicago, usa [cut
due
to technical difficulties in the KinK-studio]) 07 siva (live 15.01.92 -
vpro studios, hilversum, ned) 08 the vigil (live 10.08.88 - the avalon
nightclub, chicago, usa) 09 murder-mix (the marked demo tape, 1986) 10
silverfuck (live 24.02.94 - astoria theater, london, eng [taken from
vieuphoria, 1994])

Fourth hour started with my personal Pumpkins fave, Set The Ray To
Jerry,
followed by the tearjerking Soma from the Vieuphoria video. Heavy Metal
Machine from the Live Sampler, a compilation of soundboard recordings of
the Sacred And Profane US-leg tour, by the honourable Eric Agnew.
Disarm,
together with the 94 Pinkpop audience. To Sheila, absolutely the best
live
version of this song in my humble opinion. Fun to play Bullet Train To
Osaka. Caused a smile upon Arjen Grolleman's face.

01 set the ray to jerry (1979 cd single, 1996)
02 soma (live 24.02.94 - astoria theater, london, eng [taken from
vieuphoria, 1994]) 03 heavy metal machine (e.a. live sampler, 2000) 04
disarm (live 23.05.94 - pinkpop festival, landgraaf, ned) 05 to sheila
(live 24.01.00 - muziekcentrum vredenburg, utrecht, ned) 06 smiley (peel
sessions cd-single, 1991) 07 blue (live 22.10.91 - atomic records,
milwaukee, usa) 08 bullet train to osaka (i am one 10"-single, 1992) 09
glass + the ghost children (live 24.01.00 - muziekcentrum vredenburg,
utrecht, ned) 10 transformer (thirty-three cd single, 1996) 11 pug
(adore,
1998)

The last few songs from our regular playlist. An adorable By Starlight,
from the infamous Vancouver 97 show. Crestfallen played in 1998 in
Brussels, with the short Eye-tease. Drown, a different recording than
the
one that ended up on Singles. Then, the World Premiere of the new
Pumpkins
album, Machina II/the Friends And Enemies Of Modern Music. Really great
be able to play this. The complete album and the broadcast were ended
with
Farewell And Goodnight, the last song played at one of the two Rotterdam
shows, in 1996.

01 by starlight (live 08.01.97 - the gm-place, vancouver, can)
02 crestfallen (live 28.05.98 - parc du botanique, brussels, bel)
03 cherub rock (live 26.10.93 - del mar fairground, del mar, usa)
04 drown (lenny kravitz studio outtake)
World premiere Machina II/ The Friends & Enemies Of Modern Music by KinK
FM CR01 (10"-'single' 1) 01 slow down 02 vanity 03 saturnine 04 glass'
theme (spacey version) CR02 (10"-'single' 2) 05 soul power [james brown
cover] 06 cash car star 07 lucky 13 08 speed kills CR03 (10"-'single' 3)
09 if there is a god? (piano/vocal version) 10 try, try, try (alternate
version) 11 heavy metal machine (alternate version) CR04 (double LP) 12
glass' theme 13 cash car star 14 dross 15 real love 16 go (james iha) 17
let me give the world to you 18 innosence 19 home 20 blue skies bring
tears (heavy) 21 white spider 22 in my body 23 if there is a god 24 le
deux machina (instrumental) 25 here's to the atom bomb

06 farewell and goodnight (live 05.04.96 - ahoy', rotterdam, ned)

That was the end of a great night. A night where we could show our
devotion to the band, show our gratitude and just have fun in general.
Thanks to both the KinK-FM DJs Jantien van Tol and Arjen Grolleman to
host
the show. They gave us full control, which was simply phantastic. Thanks
to the audience who showed their enthusiasm during and after the show.
Also, the people who provided us with material deserve our gratitude,
you
know who you are!

Thanks for reading!

Cheers,
Vincent Jager

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

R. Mast

Sep 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/17/00

vincen...@my-deja.com wrote:

> Hey there,
>
> Below is a little report on the KinK FM broadcast we (Sven Schlijper,
> Jeroen Fox and yours truly) made last Tuesday, september 12th. in the
> KinK
> FM studio in Hilversum, NED.

<snip long report>

Awesome. Wish every radio station would do this.

--

-R. Mast is a wicked child.

"Yeah, you Netphoria saboteur you!" - Grimfarrow

"This post has increased my urge, impulse and desire to have sex with my
life-size yoda doll by an astonishing 15%." - ernie

Take out the -puter- to reply by e-mail.

Mason Butler

Sep 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/17/00
R. Mast wrote in message <39C53336...@home.computer>...

>Awesome. Wish every radio station would do this.

Back when SP were here (Mpls.) in 96, our station tried to do an A-Z thing.
Instead of being grateful fans, though, we nitpicked them to death, calling
and telling them songs they missed. They never tried an A-Z again I don't
think. Oops.
--
//\\/\\as...@tmbg.org
Let this be a testament to every light bulb filament that burned itself out

Jason Terhun

Sep 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/17/00
On Sun, 17 Sep 2000 17:15:42 -0500, "Mason Butler"
<ma...@tmbg.DISorgANIZED> wrote:

>Back when SP were here (Mpls.) in 96, our station tried to do an A-Z thing.
>Instead of being grateful fans, though, we nitpicked them to death, calling
>and telling them songs they missed. They never tried an A-Z again I don't
>think. Oops.

My first contact with bootlegs was when that station (was it 93.7 the
Edge at that point?) played an "import" named Outcesticide III for the
Nirvana A-Z.

Good times, good times...

Dagger

Sep 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/18/00